**Please read the Grant Guidelines and FAQs and watch the videos before you apply for the grant.**
You can make changes to your application up until the point you hit submit. Once you've submitted your application, you can no longer make changes.
The purpose of this program is to foster greater economic development activity in Rural Texas by encouraging and enabling rural woman-owned, small businesses to undertake new and innovative projects. A total of thirty-five $10,000 grants for a total of $350,000 is available for this round of funding.
Who can apply?
Eligible businesses must satisfy all of the following conditions:
- Existing rural, woman-owned businesses (at least 51% directly owned and controlled by one or more women who are U.S. citizens). The business owner must reside in Texas.
- The business must have been in existence in Texas for at least 3 years.
- The business must be a for-profit corporation, partnership, LLP or LLC, or sole proprietorship. Not-for-profit corporations or similar nonprofit entities are not eligible.
- If the business or business owner owns the premises from which the business operates, all property taxes must be current.
- All sales, payroll, and other taxes must be current.
- The business must be located and operated within the state of Texas.
- The business, business owner and the applicant must not be involved in any pending or current litigation.
- The business owner must not have any felonies or convictions for a crime of dishonesty or breach of trust.
- Previous grant winners cannot apply.
- Those that live in rural counties on our list.
- The business, business owner, and theapplicant are operating with all required permits and licenses and are conforming to all required laws. Please check the Texas Taxable Entity Search page to verify your business is in good standing with the state: https://mycpa.cpa.state.tx.us/coa/
- Any business that is not on our rural county list.
- TWU faculty/staff (or any immediate family member of the applicant's family, including spouse, child, parent), trustee, and advisory committee member.
- TWU Students are not eligible to apply.
- Prior grant winners.
- Applicants who have taken part in any CWE program in the last year including AccelerateHER, TechFW, or NTEEC awardees.
What can the funds be used for?
- Purchase of machinery, equipment, or technology.
- Farm implements or machinery
- Addition or acquisition of new inventory or raw materials.
- Purchase and installation of fixtures or display units.
- Property improvements that will result in increased sales and revenue.
- Marketing or advertising campaigns.
- Any other business-related activity that CWE deems is aligned with the stated purpose of this program (Please email email@example.com to see if something is eligible).
Funds can’t be used for:
- Wages, salaries, bonuses, or compensation of any kind are explicitly ineligible activities under this program and will not be funded.
- Real Property – Buildings, Land, etc. cannot be purchased with this grant.
- Paying your regular monthly bills
What are the grant requirements?
- Awardees will receive $10,000 after signing a grant agreement and submitting all required paperwork.
- All receipts must be totaled and submitted for review before July 29, 2023
- Sales Tax cannot be counted towards the total amount.
- Applications only will be accepted electronically via our online application site by 5:00:00 p.m., June 9, 2023. Revisions are not permitted following submission. Applications received after 5:00:00 p.m., will be automatically rejected. Winners will be notified June 26, 2023.
- Include documentation that your business is 51% or more woman-owned and controlled. The following are acceptable: Any woman-owned certification, sole proprietor/assumed name filings, LLC or LLP documentation, certification of organization, articles of incorporation, partnership agreement showing members and percentage owned, or bank signature card. Do not send an LLC or other entity document with only a business name, EIN, driver's license, credit card, or passport. If you don't see it listed above send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to see if your paperwork will count. Most apps are rejected because proof of ownership isn't shown.
- Background on your company and a description of the project the grant would be used for (must use the template below).
- All required information and documentation must be uploaded (for example: proposals from a vendor, quotes or estimates, preliminary invoices, etc.). Incomplete applications will be automatically rejected.
Company Background & Project Narrative
Copy & Paste this information into a PDF that you will upload to your online grant application —each question must be answered, put N/A if not applicable.This information is mandatory.
- Description of the company’s current operations including products, markets, etc.
- Description of the company’s current operating facilities – both owned and leased
- Summary of the company’s current full and part-time employment
- Description of the company’s need to undertake the proposed project
- Budget for the project, including project costs and sources of funds
- Physical description of the proposed project, including any business or residential relocation which may result from the undertaking of the project
- Projected new employment for each of the three years following project completion including job title
- Explanation of how your project will contribute to the economy of Texas
After you’ve been awarded
- The successful applicant will typically receive a payment within 30 days of being awarded and all required paperwork submitted.
- Awardees are required to:
- Complete 4 business training courses hosted by the Center for Women Entrepreneurs
- Submit and receive approval for a completed business plan
- Send in itemized paid receipts or proof of purchases made with grant funds (costs must have been incurred after receiving grant funding.)
- Spend 3 hours with a Small Business Advisor
- Use the spreadsheet that the CWE provides for documentation
- Awardees will need to sign a grant agreement and photo release BEFORE they can access grant funds. The University will send winners a 1099 for the grant funds received.